Sunday, May 18, 2014

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: Yes. #1
Pages: Paperback. 352
Source: Shelf
Genre: Paranormal, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Young Adult
Published Date: June 7, 2011
Publisher: Quirk Books
Rating: ☕☕☕☕☕

Summary: Goodreads

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.
  
My Thoughts: 

I need to first talk about this awesome cover. Picking it up originally I missed the uniqueness of the photo, but after taking a closer look I noticed that the girl was levitating; it was then I noticed how these children would be "peculiar". I wasn't too sure what to expect going into this book considering I didn't read all of the synopsis when I got it, but I think that's what made this book all the better for me. The beginning was a little slow, although I wouldn't say it was unbearable. I fell for the main character pretty easily. Jacob made me smile and gave me all the feels. I got so frustrated with his parents sometimes though. They definitely don't win the parent-of-the-year awards in my book. I'm not sure who I disliked more, his mom, or his dad. I love Ransom Riggs' writing style he made me laugh and I must say he got a lot of my respect when he referenced Doctor Who. His writing is also very easy to follow and wasn't confusing in the slightest. Another thing I love about the execution of this book is how everything all comes together and it leaves you with your mind blown. At least my mind was pretty blown. What most impressed me was how well Ransom integrated those old photos into his story. It was such a unique way to create the book and I applaud his creativity. The photos made the peculiar world more vivid in my mind and I really enjoyed that.
 
SPOILERS:
(Do NOT continue unless you've read the book!!!)  


I lurv Emma. She's so feisty and head-strong, it's great. When we were first introduced to her, and she held Jacob "captive" by knife point, I was sold. It was fantastic. I was smiling the entire time. I was slightly annoyed by how long it took Jacob to find Miss Peregrine's, mind you, I understand why it took as long as it did, my impatience just couldn't stand it. When he did find it, I celebrated. It was exciting, but I kept wondering, "So what's he gonna do? Just prance into Miss Peregrine's home like he owns the place?" For some reason my brain just couldn't understand what he was going to do. That's why I really liked how Ransom played everything out. I really enjoyed the craftiness of his writing and the thought he put into his story. For a good while I began to think the monster from the beginning of the book wouldn't be touched back on, but luckily I was wrong. I was really shocked when I found out Miss P's brother was one of the ones who created the Hollowgast.

I need to talk about Dr. Golan. I couldn't believe I didn't suspect him at all. I couldn't believe he was a wight. A wight who had been stalking Jacob his entire life. Creepy. I think by this point I was yelling at my book. The wight taught me one very crucial thing that I don't think had been processed very well in my mind until that point. No where is safe. By this point I was  almost certain someone was going to die. I was really glad, however, that I was wrong. Oh but that part, when Miss P was transformed and trapped in that bird cage which was thrown into the water, I was having a panic attack. I kept thinking, "what's going to happen if she dies!?" But luckily I didn't have to find out. Although things aren't all great. I couldn't believe Miss P couldn't turn back into a human at the end. What does this mean? Will she get better? Or will she be stuck as a bird forever?! Oh the not knowing is agonizing! There's something else I wonder too, abut Jacob, before I forget: Will he ever be able to see his parents again? (Though I can't say I would care too much if he did or not) Hollow City will definitely be picked up very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.