Friday, June 27, 2014

Review: The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Title: The Magician's Nephew
Author: C.S. Lewis
Series: The Chronicles of Narnia #1
Pages: Paperback. 202.
Source: Shelf
Genre: Fantasy. Adventure. Middle grade. 
Published Date: January 1st 1955 
Publisher: Harper Collins 

Summary: Goodreads

The secret passage to the house next door leads to a fascinating adventure

NARNIA...where the woods are thick and cold, where Talking Beasts are called to life...a new world where the adventure begins.

Digory and Polly meet and become friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their lives burst into adventure when Digory's Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends them hurtling to...somewhere else. They find their way to Narnia, newborn from the Lion's song, and encounter the evil sorceress Jadis before they finally return home.


My Thoughts:

Wow. I started this book having no clue how it was going to play out (I'm not one to usually read the synopsis first). I must admit that I was very pleasantly surprised with how everything turned out. Bravo C.S. Lewis, I was quite enraptured with his writing. The story's pacing was good, nothing was unnecessarily drawn out or annoyingly shortened. Things were described just enough, but nothing went too far into detail, tasteful enough for children. Of course, obviously, this was purposefully done, and very well achieved.

The only reason I couldn't give this book a 5 cup rating was one, probably very crucial, aspect. Digory. Holy crap. Digory. This kid annoyed me like no other, I won't go into details why, but he very quickly became one of my least favorite characters. Polly, on the other hand, is a whole other story. I liked her a lot. Smart, thoughtful, and she knew just how to put Digory back in his place. She was brilliant and throughout the whole book I continued to realize how much of a good friend she was. It consistently amazed me, especially since my irritation with Digory kept slowly growing.

This book was a quick and easy read. Perfect if anyone is ever in a bad reading slump. The storyline is engaging and the book fills in quite a few blanks that I've had concerning the Narnia world. I really enjoyed reading this, it only took me a few hours to start and finish the book, and I'm glad I finally decided to pick it up. Reading the other books will be just as fun; I can already tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.