Thursday, August 28, 2014

Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor





Title: Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Author: Laini Taylor.
Series: Yes. #1
Pages: Paperback. 418.
Source: Shelf.
Genre: Fantasy | Paranormal | Young Adult
Published Date:  September 27th 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books

GoodreadsBook Depository | BAM!
Summary:

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?



My Thoughts:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I loved this book. Really I truly did. It took me a while to actually pick this book up since I wasn't too sure if I would like it. It actually took me quite a while to pick up this book. There were a bunch of mixed reviews, and it was either you really loved it or you really hated it; it seemed like there wasn't any in between.This is what stopped me from picking up the book at first. Another thing that originally stopped me was the knowledge that there were angels in the story. I'm not a huge fan of angel books, for some reason they never seem very well written or properly executed, but Laini Taylor's portrayal of them is, in my opinion, brilliant. They're these hauntingly beautiful creatures with a terrifying fierceness to them. This is a book about angels and demons, but figuring out who the bad guys, and who the good guys are isn't as simple as it may seem. 
________________

"Once upon a time, an angel lay dying in the mist. And a devil knelt over him and smiled."        
                   -Laini Taylor
                         ________________

Another thing I really loved about this book were the intriguing characters encountered throughout the story. My favorite Probably has to be Zuzana. She is funny, loyal, and very feisty despite her small stature. All she needs is honesty and in return she gives her heart. It makes me jealous. I wish she was real so that we could be friends forever. I also love Karou. Karou isn't your typical YA main female character. She's not the usual innocent little Mary Sue and I really value that about her.

Laini Taylor's writing, though I will admit it can be a bit confusing and hard to get into, is very unique and detailed. I enjoyed the fact that there was mystery mixed in with the fantasy, that things were not always as they seemed, and there was even a hint of science fiction involved in the book's overall creation. I really appreciated each of these aspects as they were introduced into the story. This book, in my opinion, doesn't get the credit I believe it should. I love this story, the dialog, the world, and the characters. It may have some tiny faults but that just makes it all the more special to me.
_______________

“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”  
                     -Laini Taylor
            _________________

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm planning to read this book next month, and I just wanted to ask. How many pages do you think I need to read to get into it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on if you can deal with the writing style. Personally, for me, it didn't take me very long to get into the book. I loved the characters almost instantly so that made me love story quickly too.

      Delete
  2. I loved those 'Once upon a time' parts in between chapters. It gave the book such an unique atmosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you! I thought those added a unique little flair to the books. :D

      Delete
  3. Wahoo I'm glad you liked it! I actually didn't know this one was receiving mixed reviews, I thought everyone loved it! Haha.

    And I see you are reading the next book. Good, this is good.

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: I have finished the second book. (: And let me just say this... Holycrapthesebooksaregreat. Both of the books were amazing in my opinion. This will probably end up being a favorite series of mine.

      Delete

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.