Thursday, August 14, 2014

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell





Title: Fangirl.
Author: Rainbow Rowell.
Series: No.
Pages: Hardback. 438.
Source: Shelf.
Genre: Contemporary | Romance | New adult
Published Date: September 10th 2013
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin

GoodreadsBook Depository | BAM!
Summary:


In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? Open her heart to someone? Or will she just go on living inside somebody else’s fiction?


 

My Thoughts:

Oh my, this book, these characters... words! I just don't have them. I love this book, this has probably made it's way up into my list of favorites. I can't believe it took me so long to get my hands on this beauty. But first, before I go on my rant of love, I need to just point out to everyone the beauty of this cover. It's simple, but it's wonderful, and it practically sums up the book perfectly. Both Levi, and Cath, and her laptop. It's just... brilliant. My only problem is... I need more!! I want a second book, or something, anything. I feel like I'm still not ready to give those characters up. There's just too many feels.

_________________

“You’ve read the books?”
“I’ve seen the movies.”
Cath rolled her eyes so hard, it hurt. (Actually.) (Maybe because she was still on the edge of tears. On the edge, period.) “So you haven’t read the books.”
“I’m not really a book person.”
“That might be the most idiotic thing you’ve ever said to me” 
            - Cather and Levi (pg. 122)
_________________

When I first picked this book up I wasn't sure what to expect. Of course there was a lot of hype around it, when is any of Rainbow Rowell's books ever not hyped, but it still took me a little while to actually pick up the book. I fell in love within a matter of a few pages. The characters were amazingly written and developed beautifully throughout the novel. I found that I related a lot to Cather which made reading Fangirl a very exciting experience. Especially while reading a scene with Levi in it. Woo. Can we say "swoon"? I loved every moment of this book, a  wonderful coming of age story that gave me all the massively gooey feels. When I actually finished the book, I had a strong urge to read copious amounts of fan fiction; so I did. It was wonderful.

______________

“I'm scared of everything. And I'm crazy. Like maybe you think I'm a little crazy, but I only ever let people see the tip of my crazy iceberg. Underneath this veneer of slightly crazy and mildly socially retarded, I'm a complete disaster."
         - Cather to Reagan (pg. 184)
______________

At the end of this book there were a few things I still had some questions about. A few points that I felt had been left unanswered or forgotten about. I'm not sure if it was done on purpose or what, but I personally would've liked a little more explanation. Maybe simply an extra chapter would've sufficed, but if it were up to me, I'd like to have a whole second book. That would be even more amazing.

Moving onto the characters... what can I say that hasn't already been said? Cather, Levi, and Reagan were some of the greatest characters I've ever read. So much sassy wit flies back and forth between these three that I always found myself laughing at something. There were also some other characters that I had a little bit of an issue with. For example, Wren, but they didn't diminish the story at all. In fact they added more spice to the novel. I love this book so much and I encourage anyone who hasn't picked it up yet to give it a try. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it. (: I'd be happy to follow you back on Bloglovin. It's a pleasure to meet you.

      Delete
  2. Levi is such a darling, and I loved his and Cath's banter!

    I agree about unanswered questions at the end, even though it is a standalone, I feel like it needs a sequel. Great review Lyndsey!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things I love about this book. This is definitely one of my favorites. But I think it should totally have a second book. I wish it did!! Dreams.

      Delete

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.