Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Review: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Title: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Author: C.S. Lewis
Series: The Chronicles of Narnia #2
Pages: Paperback. 189.
Source: Shelf
Genre: Fantasy. Adventure. Middle grade. 
Published Date: January 2nd 1950
Publisher: Harper Collins 

Summary: Goodreads

They open a door and enter a world

NARNIA...the land beyond the wardrobe, the secret country known only to Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy...the place where the adventure begins.

Lucy is the first to find the secret of the wardrobe in the professor's mysterious old house. At first, no one believes her when she tells of her adventures in the land of Narnia. But soon Edmund and then Peter and Susan discover the Magic and meet Aslan, the Great Lion, for themselves. In the blink of an eye, their lives are changed forever.


My Thoughts:

This book was great. It was so brilliant! I loved it. My favorite Chronicles of Narnia story thus far. I was so surprised how similar the book and the movie were with one another. It made my love for the movie grow a thousand times more, because yes, many will hate me for saying this, but I saw the movie first. However, if I may point out, the movie is practically a perfect rendition of the book. So I think in this instance I should be forgiven.

This story is just so amazing, and I love how in this story we actually get to explore Narnia, more so than we get to in the first novel. There's also a lot more of Aslan's creatures we get to meet and connect with, which for me, successfully pulled me into Lewis' world. It was so much fun and honestly got me sort of in the mood for Christmas (too bad that's still a ways off). In this book we're finally introduced to Lucy, Peter, Susan, and Edmund. Obviously it was easy to fall for some characters and even easier to hate others. C.S. Lewis does a wonderful job in depicting loyalty, betrayal, and many other things, within this one story, and character development was not compromised in the execution. Even with such heavy topics the story as a whole is a very easy read. I managed to finish reading it in one sitting.

I definitely believe this book is acceptable for people of all ages. During the entire period that I was reading this book I felt all kinds of nostalgia, even though this was my first time reading this, I was overjoyed to be back within the world of Narnia. The extra exploration of the world building was greatly appreciated even with the story being so simply written. I will of course be continuing on with the series and becoming more acquainted with the Pevensie children. I'm also hoping Mr.Tumnus will make another appearance, but for some reason I'm doubtful of that happening; one can only hope!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.