Friday, September 5, 2014

Review: Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Title: Days of Blood & Starlight 
Author: Laini Taylor
Series: Yes. #2 
Pages: 513.
Source: Shelf.
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy | Paranormal
Published Date: November 6, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Books




GoodreadsBook Depository | BAM!
Summary:

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?


My Thoughts:
Wow. What a book. An amazing sequel that was nothing like I expected it to be. This second installment by Laini Taylor is a wonderful continuation of her first book A Daughter of Smoke & Bone. It deals with loss, betrayal, distrust/trust, friendship, loyalty, learning right from wrong, fighting for what you believe in, and much more. Things were brutal. This book gave me so many feels and I couldn't believe how it ended. Consider my mind blown. A mixture of sadness, excitement, anxiety, and a wild need to know what happens next all consumed my mind after finishing this book.
___________________

“Dead souls dream only of death. Small dreams for small men. It is life that expands to fill worlds. Life is your master, or death is”
                       ____________________

Just like the first book, there were times that I got a little confused, but it was nothing that wasn't easily cleared up. I enjoy how the author progressed the story and the characters. I was more than pleasantly surprised with Zuzana's involvement in the story and I enjoyed getting to know Mik and some of the other characters a little more. It's hard to say who all my favorites are, but Zuzana, Mik, Ziri, and Hazael are definitely part of that list. I loved reading about each of these characters and I also loved learning more about the world of Eretz. Days of Blood & Starlight definitely focused a little more on world building and I, personally, wouldn't mind visiting that beautiful place if it were even possible.
____________________

“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them. 
And its snap split the world in two.” 
                        _____________________

Laini Taylor definitely stepped up her game with this installment. I can only imagine how everything will turn out in the final book. A small part of me is a little worried. I've already had a few characters I really liked killed in the last two books and I'm terrified of who might be next. I don't want to lose my fictional loves! I already know, however, that the last book will be totally epic. Crazy things are going down and I need to be ready for all of the feels. Major feels are ensured. I hope I'll be ready and can survive them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.