Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Review: Doon by Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon

Title: Doon
Author: Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon
Series: Yes. #1
Pages: 368.
Source: Shelf.
Genre: Fantasy | Young Adult | Romance
Published Date: August 20, 2013
Publisher: Zondervan




 GoodreadsBook Depository | BAM! 

Summary:
DOON…

Veronica doesn't think she's going crazy. But why can't anyone else see the mysterious blond boy who keeps popping up wherever she goes? When her best friend, Mackenna, invites her to spend the summer in Scotland, Veronica jumps at the opportunity to leave her complicated life behind for a few months.

But the Scottish countryside holds other plans.

Not only has the imaginary kilted boy followed her to Alloway, she and Mackenna uncover a strange set of rings and a very unnerving letter from Mackenna's great aunt—and when the girls test the instructions Aunt Gracie left behind, they find themselves transported to a land that defies explanation. Doon seems like a real-life fairy tale, complete with one prince who has eyes for Mackenna and another who looks suspiciously like the boy from Veronica's daydreams. But Doon has a dark underbelly as well. The two girls could have everything they've longed for...or they could end up breaking an enchantment and find themselves trapped in a world that has become a nightmare.


My Thoughts:

My obsession with Scotland probably started here. This would be a good place to point the metaphorical finger.

I was actually surprised by this book and ended up liking it a lot more than I was ever expecting. Though there was still some issues I had, namely the actions of some of the characters, which is why this didn't get 5 stars. Overall however, I really enjoyed reading this and getting to know the characters. For me this was a fairly easy read. I felt like I flew through it within two days (which for me is pretty frickin' good). And I had a hard time putting the story down. Yes, specific characters annoyed me, but the plot was interesting and the character development wasn't bad. At least in my opinion. Personally I felt like one of the main male characters (I'm not going to name anyone in particular) could've been a bit less of a douche. But after I understood why he was acting that way he irritated me less than he did in the beginning.
________________

"I'd learned from experience hoping for the impossible just ended in heartbreak... but did that mean I stopped believing altogether?"
- Veronica
                           __________________

I thought the world building was great. Definitely one of my favorite aspects. Doon sounds like an amazing place to be able to live at. I only wish it was real! I would definitely relocate there in a heartbeat. A mixture of old and modern times, be still my beating heart, I swear that sounds more than perfect for me.

The story as a whole was a lot fun for me to read, even with the annoying aspects of a couple characters. In my opinion, I found it comical that there was a fairy even balance, between the things that annoyed me and the things I enjoyed. One of my favorite things as a whole... Duncan. I don't want to say too much because spoilers are not our friends here, but holy crap on a cracker did that boy know how to make me swoon; so much swoonage. Truly a great creation of fictional hunk. The two main female characters were... interesting. There were things I liked about them both but at the same time there were also things that irritated me. I still couldn't tell you which one I like more.
________________

"Wait. Escaping into fantasy was a symptom of schizophrenia, wasn't it?
- Veronica
                        _________________

Now, let me just say this. Some people will not like this book (obviously). There are the impatient ones who wont want to finish the book after a certain amount of pages. I was almost one of these people. But If you do stick through the book I think you would like how everything turns out. Maybe. I did. I won't lie to you however, I liked the second half of the book much more than the first, and I'm glad I stuck it out till the end. There were definitely flaws with the writing. A bunch of contradictions throughout the story and a fan-fiction-y feel as well. Tip: If you hate fanfiction than this probably isn't the book for you. But if you're one of those who don't judge books based off things like that then please do feel free to give this a try. It's actually quite fun to read at least once. I'm certain that when I can, I'll be getting the second book, and continuing on with the series. I can't just stop here. I'm already too far in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.