Monday, September 1, 2014

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Yes. #1
Pages: 466.
Source: Shelf.
Genre: Paranormal | Thriller | Mystery | Young Adult
Published Date: January 21, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books


 GoodreadsBook Depository | BAM!
Summary:

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.
There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.





My Thoughts:
Holy crap can we all collectively join together and say "creepy"? I believe that accurately describes this book as a whole. Going into this book, I knew it was a paranormal thriller, but I still wasn't expecting the level of creep that this book delivered. What I really loved about this story is how it would flip between super creepy paranormal to cute and witty contemporary in the span of a few paragraphs. And if you're anything like me, as soon as you pick up this book, you won't want to put it down until it's done. There's suspense, mystery, sass, and the handsome boy that knew exactly how to make me swoon. Oh I would like me some Noah Shaw in my life right about now. 
______________

"You're distracting," I said truthfully. "I won't be. I promise," Noah said. "I'll get some crayons and draw quietly. Alone. In a corner."    
-Mara and Noah
               _________________

While I was reading this book I found that I was always questioning what was going on or what something might've meant. I was never 100% certain of anything and I really enjoyed that. The characters were so great, in my opinion, though of course, there were also some not so great ones too. I really enjoyed the fact that even though the story was very creepy, it still often had me laughing at a lot of parts, and I thought that was a very fresh take on the story. But even with this comedic aspect of the book, Michelle Hodkin knew when it was time to get serious, and I felt like her serious involved massive amounts of suspense. She pulled it off brilliantly. 
________________

“You could start a fire with the heat between you two."
"You're mistaking bitter animosity for heartfelt affection.” 
- Jamie and Mara
                ________________

The ending of this book was absolutely cray. And that cliff hanger... oh my. I can't get over the way Michelle Hodkin ended this book and I hear the the second book's cliffhanger is, if not worse, just as bad as the first book. This was a really fun read and the cover? I think it's awesome. I really like it. It's beautiful, and the water, all of it. I enjoy looking at it very much. I will definitely be reading the second book very soon, but I'm already calling it, this is more than a little likely going to be part of my favorites. I'm hooked and in love.
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm happy you really enjoyed this one! I agree, super creepy! And isn't Noah just the cutest? I haven't read the second book so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! :)

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noah... Oh Noah. So many feelings I have about Noah. I fell for him just as hard as Mara did. I love that boy. Haha! I'll be reading the second book soon. So I'll definitely let you know what I think of it.

      Delete

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.