Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Yes. #1
Pages: 338.
Source: Shelf.
Genre: Paranormal | Young Adult | Dystopian
Published Date: November 15, 2011
Publisher: Harper




 GoodreadsBook Depository | BAM!

Summary:

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


My Thoughts:

You know, I never really understood the hype around Tahereh Mafi's books, but everything is different now. After reading this book I think I'm already hooked. Though I thought it was funny that the whole time while reading this I was major team Warner while everyone else is usually team Adam. Maybe I have issues. Who knows?

I sadly couldn't give this book a 5 star rating since the world building was practically non-existent. But the characters were great. Each one I was introduced too had me intrigued one way or another. Tahereh's writing style is probably the most unique I've read up to date. I really enjoyed reading all the scratch outs and mental instabilities that were present in this story. I thought Juliette was an intriguing character to get to know. Even though there were some times when I got more than a little irritated with her. But there were sometimes, in small moments, that I felt like I could relate to Juliette.
_________________

“Raindrops are my only reminder that clouds have a heartbeat. That I have one, too.” 
                        _________________

The writing style of this book is very poetic. I loved being able to read the story in such a creative way. And there were some brilliant quotes that I fell in love with all throughout the pages. This may sound bad, but I also really loved the mental illness aspect of this story. Juliette isn't a completely sane character. She understands that her mind doesn't function like 'normal' peoples do and in a way she uses it as a shield. Yes, there were times when I felt that Juliette made stupid decisions and wallowed in her self-pity too much, but there were also times that I really enjoyed reading her mental thought process.
__________________

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
                        _________________

The ending left me with a lot of questions and a burning desire to read more. Tahereh Mafi wrote a brilliant story. I felt it was a refreshing, quick read, and I felt like it was different than the other dystopians I've had the pleasure of reading. I've read the 1.5 novella and the second book, so reviews on those will be coming out soon. If you're in the mood for a fun page-turner, then maybe you should consider checking this out, if you haven't already that is. If you have read this, tell me what you thought of it, did you enjoy it as much as I did? Or do you think I'm crazy?

2 comments:

  1. I loved Shatter Me because of how unique the writing style was, and Adam was such a sweetheart! I haven't finished this series but I'm curious, I want to see if Warner can redeem himself! :)

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE Adam!! I can't stand him one bit!! Lol he can just go away if you ask me. Team Warner all the way. You should definitely keep going with the series! The books are wonderful.

      Delete

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.