Saturday, February 7, 2015

Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon



Title: Outlander
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Yes. Outlander #1
Pages: eBook. 627
Source: Shelf
Genre: Historical fiction | Romance | Science fiction
Published Date: July 26, 1991
Publisher: Dell Publishing Company


 GoodreadsBook Depository | BAM!

Summary:

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.



My Thoughts:
Holy crap on a cracker everyone. Can I just start off by saying how much I love this book? This has easily made it's way into my favorites pile. Though I’m sure you probably already know this if you’ve been to my blog before. I talk about this book often. But I will say that this is not a book for the young. This is an adult novel and there is in fact explicit content included. Moving on, this was such a great read in so many ways. Everything from the interesting characters, to the unique plot, the intriguing setting, and the descriptive writing style had me completely captivated the entire time I was reading this novel. The only reason I can’t give this book a 5 star review is because, in my opinion, the first 100 or so pages of the story were a bit slow and made it hard for me to get into at first.
________________

“I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have.”
                          _________________ 

My favorite thing about this entire book can be summed up into five words… James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser. Oh yes. Oh my. Be still my beating heart. Jamie Fraser is a brilliant character. He’s intriguing, sweet, respectable, good with a sword, loyal, and extremely swoon worthy. Watching as his and Claire’s relationship grew throughout this book was a wonderful experience and I can’t wait to see how they progress through the later books. I do know however, that the age’s drastically increase as the series progresses, so I’m hoping I’ll still be able to somewhat connect to the characters even though they’ll be much older than myself.
________________

"Does it bother you that I'm not a virgin?" He hesitated a moment before answering.
"Well, no," he said slowly, "so long as it doesna bother you that I am." He grinned at my drop-jawed expression, and backed toward the door.
"Reckon one of us should know what they're doing," he said. The door closed softly behind him; clearly the courtship was over.”

                           _________________

I really enjoy Diana Gabaldon’s writing style, it’s really easy to comprehend what she’s trying to convey, and the fact that she uses some actual historical facts in her story makes the whole thing even better. The setting being based in Scotland, Diana really immerses the reader into the culture of the land, and the time-traveling aspect makes the plot even more fascinating. The entire time I was reading this, I felt as if I was flying through the pages. It’s a big book, definitely not something to take lightly, and it only took me about a week to read. Which, for me, honestly is pretty good. Diana’s writing is clever and eloquent and raw. She managed to successfully rip my heart out, tear it into pieces, and put it all together again multiple times throughout the story. I sometimes found myself wishing I could dive into the novel and save my favorite characters from Diana’s wicked ways. Throw a protection field over them… something. There was one point where I was literally on the floor, enduring a panic attack as I was trying to read. My emotions were running wild. 

If this sounds like something you would be interested in… have some tissues close, prepare yourself for emotion, and enjoy yourself with sexy kilted men. If you don’t mind lengthy descriptions and sexy-time scenes then you should definitely give this novel a try! Especially if you’ve seen and enjoy the Starz TV show adaptation. If you’ve read this beautiful thing then leave me a comment below telling me what you thought! Did you like it? Did you not? Why do you feel the way you do? Anything! Everything! Let’s hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.