Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo



Title: Shadow and Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Yes. The Grisha #1
Pages: eBook. 358
Source: Shelf
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy
Published Date: June 5, 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.

Goodreads | Book Depository | BAM!

Summary:

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

Shadow and Bone is the first installment in Leigh Bardugo's Grisha Trilogy.

My Thoughts:
I will start off by admitting that I didn't really know what to expect when going into this book. I knew a little about the plot or the characters going into the story, because I didn't read the synopsis or anything regarding that, and I think doing that made my reading experience better overall. So if you're at all like me, and like to be surprised as you read, then I suggest you stop reading this right now and go pick up that book. It's brilliant and that plot twist was completely unexpected. I really enjoyed the characters, and the witty banter that went on between them throughout the pages, though I was a tiny bit disappointed that my ship got blown out of the water before it even really got moving, which was extremely uncool.
____________________

“The problem with wanting," he whispered, his mouth trailing along my jaw until it hovered over my lips, "is that it makes us weak.”

                           _____________________

The way the magic set up within this world is really interesting, almost like the 'faction' system in Divergent in some way. I also really liked how there was some unconventional magic included into the system. I liked the slight diversity and unique aspects it brought to the story as a whole. I also really enjoyed the Russian feature that the book revolved around. There was a mixture of characters that I both liked and didn't like and as the book progressed my opinions were changed here and there. The plot twist near the end was absolutely mind-blowing, it shattered my sad little soul to pieces, and then laughed maniacally as it stomped my heart into the pavement. I don't want to say too much about it because spoilers, but crap, I was not prepared. 
___________________

“You're shaking."
"I'm not used to people trying to kill me."
"Really? I hardly notice anymore.” 

                          _____________________

Apart from the few characters that just so happened to end up on my non-favorites list, there wasn't much I didn't like about this book, if anything.  The writing style was simple enough to follow along with, the characters were easily distinguishable between one another, and overall this was a quick and fun reading experience. I don't have the second book so I don't know when I'll be able to continue on with the series, but I'm hoping it'll be within the near-ish future, and I'm hoping my heart doesn't become even more damaged in the process. 

1 comment:

  1. Just wait Lyndsey. Just, wait. This series is BEAUTIFUL and infuriating. I've never felt so many emotions towards a series...I think in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, really, I'd love to hear from you.